How to Smoke Kief: Elevate Your Cannabis Experience
If you mention kief to a room full of seasoned herb lovers, you will likely be greeted with a sea of smiles. Kief is the cream of the cannabis crop. Take a close look at a decent strain of cannabis flowers, and you’ll notice that on top of the bud lies a layer of sticky, fragrant crystals. These crystals are called trichomes, and they’re the part of the cannabis plant that contains the highest concentration of cannabinoids like THC. When you see kief at your favorite dispensary, you’re looking at pure, potent trichomes. Kief packs the power and delicious flavor to take your cannabis experience to the next level.
You can easily collect kief from your favorite herb using a four-tiered grinder or kief tray and, of course, a high-quality kief scraper. However, the fun starts after you have collected your kief! In this article, we will take a look at how to smoke kief.
How to Smoke Kief
Smoking remains the most popular way to consume kief. In the long run, adding kief to your herb is a healthier way to smoke. With potent kief in the mix, you won’t need to smoke so much to get the same effects. Herb lovers can choose from a variety of fun ways to smoke kief, including:
- Crowning a bowl: The easiest way to smoke kief is to simply sprinkle a bit on top of some herb in a pipe or bong. Better yet, mix the kief with your bud for a more even burn.
- Joints and blunts: With this method, you first prepare your cannabis for a normal joint or blunt. Then sprinkle an even coating of kief on top of the bud before rolling it up. Another fun way to add a little kief spice to your doobies or blunts is to dip them in cannabis oil or honey. This allows you to sprinkle or roll the joint in kief. You can also find commercial kief and blunt glue to use to seal your joints.
- Moon rocks: You can buy premade moon rocks, or you can make your own by dipping individual nuggets of cannabis into hot oil and coating them with kief. Coconut oil works great for this purpose. It’s even better when you add a dash of hash oil.
- Hash: You can make your own hash by pressing kief with a special press, or you can find pre-pressed kief hash at your local dispensary.
Have fun experimenting, but remember that kief is potent stuff! Don’t overdo it unless you have a pretty high tolerance for THC.
Other Ways to Use Kief
Vaping pure kief is not recommended as it can clog up your vaporizer. However, you can vape kief mixed in with some buds in a dry herb vaporizer. Another vaping option is to use a dab rig with a kief concentrate like budder or shatter. Kief oil or e-juice is also acceptable for vaping.
If you’re planning to make kief edibles, you will need to prepare your kief first by decarboxylating it. It’s a big name for a relatively simple process. Just spread your kief on a baking sheet, and bake it in your oven for 40 minutes at around 220 degrees. If you’re really in a hurry, you can cook your kief in the microwave on high for two minutes. After your kief is properly decarbed, you can use it in a number of delicious ways such as:
- Making a tincture– You can make a tincture by adding powdered, decarbed kief to a jar of grain alcohol or vodka. Store the mixture in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks, shaking it daily. If you’d like to save time, simply purchase a pre-mixed kief tincture at a dispensary. For quick medicinal relief, you can take tinctures sublingually. Just place a few drops of tincture under the tongue, and wait for ten seconds before you swallow. Remember: A few drops go a long way with kief.
- Infusing butter or oil– Make kief-infused butter or oil to add to your favorite recipes. You can purchase ready-made kief oils, tinctures and butters as well.
- Baking up some cookies– Chocolate chip cookies with kief remains a classic cannabis recipe. You can add drops of kief tincture to your favorite recipe, or mix in a bit of decarbed kief powder. You can also make cookies with kief-infused butter or oil.
- Brewing coffee or tea– Add decarbed kief to coffee grounds in a coffee maker or put kief in a tea ball for a special herbal blend.
- Mixing up a batch of honey– Kief honey is a great addition to any herb cabinet. A cup of camomile tea with a teaspoon of kief-infused honey is the perfect way to wind down after a long day. Kief honey also comes in handy when you want to dip a joint or blunt and add powdered kief.
As you can see, cannabis connoisseurs have a ton of interesting ways to enjoy kief. Add some yummy kief to your arsenal, and turn your cannabis experience up to 11.